Saturday, June 25, 2011

Phoenix Park


`           Phoenix Park is an Urban Park in Dublin, lying 2–4 km west of the city centre, north of the River Liffey. Its 16 km perimeter wall encloses 707 hectares (1,750 acres), one of the largest walled city parks in Europe. It includes large areas of grassland and tree-lined avenues, and since the seventeenth century has been home to a herd of wild Fallow deer. The English name comes from the Irish fionn uisce meaning "clear water".


Now that I have officially stolen the details of Phoenix Park from Wikipedia, I thought it would be good to add my own details.  


Again Oscar and I were kicking around wondering what to do and he suggested we visit Phoenix Park. Of course I have never heard of it but it's about a fifteen minute walk from the Hostel so we headed over there. It was getting dark but we took some really beautiful Lamp-Post pictures (most my FB lamppost pics are from that night at Phoenix Park)




Luckily Oscar is very patient with my obsession with capturing the perfect moment with the camera so it took me a couple hours to get all the pictures we took.  Ever since I read Chronicles of Narnia I can't help but adore lamp-posts so it fulfilled my need to take dozens of pictures of them. Plus, we waited for cars to pass by and light up the street so everything looked 'Lovely' (it's said with a British accent by the way lol). 


Anyway, we ended up visiting the park again when it was light out, and we go there occasionally because it's so big and beautiful. I still haven't made it the whole way through.  When we finally took our bikes it rained something terrible and we forced to return home, soaked to the bone. 



There have been some absolutely stunning days there though, and we were able to some really Irish green photos, as shown above.  I love how the water reflects so well. The park has many different creatures, including Swans.  I swear everywhere I go in Ireland there is either a swan or a pigeon poking about. I posted most of my swan pictures on Facebook, but there was no gate by the pond so we kept our distance to avoid Swan-rage, which can happen if a swan suspects you of having food but you aren't willing to pass it along (actually I'm totally joking here, the swans are all very well mannered). 




So, among the green hills, well-kept hedges and calming fowl we enjoyed our hang out at the park, as you can tell by the pictures below. 




Nate really wanted to take his shoes off.  The grass was very nice, so I don't blame him. 




I think Nate is dancing in the background and Oscar is about to light up his cigarette lol, it was kinda a random moment on camera. 







I'm not exactly sure what Nate is doing, except hiding from us behind leaves, and no, he wasn't drunk lol (except on Irish Awesomeness). 


Oh, and I found a squirrel there.  Cute isn't it? :P

No comments:

Post a Comment