Friday, June 17, 2011

Back In Town

Forgive me for lacking chronology, I couldn't find the pictures I was looking for until now.  I should probably go into some character back story lol.

So, the first day in Dublin we are exhausted and dying, make our way to the Dublin International Hostel. I'm sitting in the main room working on my comp, look over at this guy in reception and think 'Holy shit, that guy looks like Daniel Craig.' I end up striking a conversation with him and he tells me he's from Latvia (WTF?). so next time I catch him heading out I google Latvia and ask him to show me whereabouts he emerged. He's kinda quiet and shy and has this fairly thick (what I would define as Russian, but he very much emphasizes is not) accent. Nate's there and we start asking him about where to go in Dublin. This is a summarized version of our conversation with him.

Us: 'So, is the Dublin castle pretty cool?'
Oscar: 'I von't know, I never been zare'
Us: 'What about this museum?'
Oscar: 'Noo, I never been there izer'
Us: 'That place with the cool Oscar Wilde Statue?'
Oscar: 'Vhat?'
Us: 'Dude, have you been anywhere?'
Oscar: 'No villy. Zo, I have been to Holt'.
Nate and I look at each other, definitely never heard of 'Holt'.
Us: 'So, what do you do for fun here in Dublin? Do you get drunk, hang out at the pub?'
Oscar: No, I vusually just stay at the hostel and vix sings. Holt iz really nice though.'
Us: 'So, you probably haven't lived here for very long then?'
Oscar: 'Fiv years.'
Nate: 'Holy shit, man you need to get out more.'
From there we told him we were planning to go up towards Belfast via cycle and if he knew anywhere cool to stay, and he suggested Rush, which upon googling looked good and the visit to Rush insued.  Fast forward three days.  We show back up in Dublin, with our extremely heavy-laden bikes, walking up the road to the hostel and there is Oscar on the steps happily smoking his cigarette.  I think all three of our faces looked surprised.
'I did not zink I vood see you guys again.'  No kidding.  I didn't think I'd be wandering back to the Hostel again (grrr...) were the internal monologue thoughts of Naomi. Nate was smiling 'We missed sleeping in beds.'

Since it's only 11 am, we find out Oscar isn't working that day and we tell him he has to hang out with us because he is obviously so Dublin-deprived despite living here for five years. Plus, Nate wants Guinness. First stop, Temple Bar, which Oscar luckily does know where it is and Nate drinks his first Guinness.  I tried it and it was DISGUSTING, yuck...ew.  



Oscar heads us over to Trinity College, which he had also been before. He took these cool pics, thus we are in most of them lol.



Then just around the walk to Merrian Square.  I'll only post a few because Blogspot takes forever to download pics and most are on my facebook already. Merrian Square is this rather large and lovely park with statues all over it, including the Oscar Wilde statue. Pretty much if you see statue pics on my FB they were taken in Merrian Square. 


Then we just walked pretty much the entirety of town.  It took like 9 hours lol. We left around noon and when we got back it was getting dark so it was 9 or 10ish.  Here are some of the especially cool things we saw around town.





Awesome huh? So yeah, that was our first day back and our more organized introduction to the city. We determined Dublin wasn't really that bad, though we kinda wished we had cycled instead of walked lol. That was also the emergence of Oscar joining our threesome :P Poor sheltered Latvian.

No comments:

Post a Comment